We feel that database structure, programming, and indexing are the foundation of
reliable and responsive applications. A well-designed database is efficient,
guards the integrity of your information, and integrates easily with your front end systems.
Luc Reid, our principal developer, has been developing relational databases for
24 years. While the technologies have improved greatly in that time, the fundamentals haven't changed.
- Developing the database infrastructure for your desktop, mobile, and Web
- Retooling existing databases to improve performance, expand capabilities, upgrade to a new database system, or eliminate bugs
- Creating stored procedures and user-defined functions to do anything from updating a name to
calculating performance on investment portfolios worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
(Both are examples from our recent work.)
- Troubleshooting problems with your database, for instance finding out why information isn't
coming out in the way you expect or why a particular process is so slow and offering solutions to fix the issue
- Reviewing existing databases or in-progress projects to give you an unbiased assessment of
the quality of your data structures
- Building complete Windows applications with Microsoft Access. Access is an
excellent tool for rapid, affordable development of user-friendly applications to be used on a
small to medium scale, provided all users have Windows. It is acceptably fast and is excellent
for producing reports. It can access more robust database systems on the back end (e.g., SQL Server,
MySQL) for larger-scale systems.
- One-time imports of data from any database or non-database system to any other
database or non-database system
- Creating import and export tools and processes to easily and reliably transfer data
- Developing data warehouses/OLAP projects for fast reporting on very large datasets. Once a warehouse has been
created using a tool like Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), we can create a data cube
that allows users to perform powerful, ad hoc queries across huge amounts of data.
- Creating SQL queries for your desktop, mobile, and Web
Five Tree has substantial experience and expertise with
- All dialects of SQL
- Microsoft SQL Server
- MySQL and MariaDB
- Microsoft Access
- Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)/ETL packages
We can also work with other database systems, including Oracle, PostgreSQL, and DB2. We can provide
services using NoSQL databases like MongoDB as well, but we can't claim special expertise in that area.
We'd like to hear from you.
Have a project in mind? Get in touch to request a free initial consultation and
project quote. We can meet in person with local and regional clients (we're in northwestern Vermont, near Burlington)
and by phone, Skype, etc. if you're in another area.